It is a simple and interesting sabzi or curry made with rigan (brinjals) and potatoes. A tasty masala made with peanuts, sesame seeds, and gathiya (Gujarati farsan) which are cooked with fried brinjals and potatoes till it has developed all the flavors. It has little sweet, sour, and medium spicy in terms of taste, just like any Gujarati sabzi.
I share the new and easiest way to make bharela rigan batata nu shak which is perfect for your meal. Do try this!
The key to making tasty bharela rigan batata at home are:
- Cut brinjal into two parts and make a slit on it, so it will absorb masala flavor easily.
- Prick potatoes with a fork, so it will cook fast and absorb masala flavor.
- Fry brinjals and potatoes on medium flame, or you can also steam it for sabzi.
- Crush masala into a coarse powder, it will give a nutty taste to the sabzi.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for brinjal potato curry
- 300 grm or 7-8 medium size potatoes
- 150 grm or 3 medium size potatoes
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin sees
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilli paste
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 medium size tomato puree
- 3 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 3 tbsp white sesame
- 2 tbsp papdi gathiya
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Some coriander leaves
- Cut brinjal (rigan) into two halves and make slits on its inner part.
- Now sprinkle ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt, and ¼ tsp red chilli powder on it. Rub masala to brinjals. Keep it aside.
- Then remove the skin of the potatoes and prick it with a fork. Keep it aside.
- Now heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan, add brinjals and fry them on medium flame till it is cooked 90%.
- Also, fry potatoes on medium flame till they become slightly golden brown coating on its sides and become soft.
- Then add 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilli, and cinnamon. Sauté for a minute.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chilli paste. Sauté for few seconds.
- Take water in a bowl; add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder. Mix well. Cook till oil separates from the sides of the masala.
- Add tomato puree and salt. cover and cook till oil separates from its sides.
- Meanwhile in a mortal-pestal, add peanuts, white sesame seeds, and papadi gathiya. Grind it into a coarse powder.
- Add masala into the gravy and cook till oil separates from its sides.
- Now add 1 cup of hot water and bring it to a boil.
- Then add fried brinjal, potatoes and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add garam masala, lemon juice, coriander leaves, and jaggery. Mix well.
- serve bharela rigan batata nu shak with poori or paratha.
- the outer crispy brown coating helps retain vegetable shape.
- masala paste gives good color to sabzi.
- In masala, the proportion of peanut and white sesame should be equal.