It is a simple and interesting sabzi or curry made with rigan (brinjals) and potatoes. A tasty masala made with peanuts, sesame seeds, and gathiya (Gujarati farsan) which is cooked with fried brinjals and potatoes till it has developed all the flavors. It has a little sweet, sour, and medium spicy in terms of taste, just like any Gujarati sabzi.
I share the new and easiest way to make bharela rigan batata nu shak which is perfect for your meal. Do try this!
- Cut brinjal into two parts and make a slit on it, so it will absorb masala flavor easily.
- Prick potatoes with a fork, so they will cook fast and absorb masala flavor.
- Fry brinjals and potatoes on medium flame, or you can also steam it for sabzi.
- Crush masala into a coarse powder, it will give a nutty taste to the sabzi.
Rigan batata nu shak | Bharela rigan batata nu shak | brinjal potato curry
- 300 grm or 7-8 medium size potatoes
- 150 grm or 3 medium size potatoes
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin sees
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilli paste
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 medium size tomato puree
- 3 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 3 tbsp white sesame
- 2 tbsp papdi gathiya
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Some coriander leaves
- Cut brinjal (rigan) into two halves and make slits on its inner part.
- Now sprinkle ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt and ¼ tsp red chilli powder on it. Rub masala to brinjals. Keep it aside.
- Then remove the skin of the potatoes and prick it with a fork. Keep it aside.
- Now heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan, add brinjals and fry them on medium flame till they cooked 90%.
- Also, fry potatoes on medium flame till they become slightly golden brown coating their sides and becoming soft.
- Then add 2 tbsp oil to a pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilli, and cinnamon. Sauté for a minute.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chilli paste. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Take water in a bowl; add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder. Mix well. Cook till oil separates from the sides of the masala.
- Add tomato puree and salt. cover and cook till oil separate from its sides.
- Meanwhile in a mortal-pestal, add peanuts, white sesame seeds, and papadi gathiya. Grind it into a coarse powder.
- Add masala into the gravy and cook till oil separates from its sides.
- Now add 1 cup of hot water and bring it to a boil.
- Then add fried brinjal, and potatoes and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add garam masala, lemon juice, coriander leaves, and jaggery. Mix well.
- serve bharela rigan batata nu shak with poori or paratha.
- outer crispy brown coating helps retain vegetable shape.
- masala paste gives good color to sabji.
- In masala, the proportion of peanut and white sesame should be equal.