Sambar is a basically south Indian dish made with toor dal and fresh vegetables. It is spiced with a unique spice blend, called Sambar Powder, finished with a tangy tamarind flavor, and occasionally sweetened with jaggery. It is served for breakfast or brunch alongside idli, dosa, vada or Uttapam. I share a quick and easy cooker sambar recipe with sambar masala and special coconut paste that gives you an authentic south Indian taste of sambar.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
sambar recipe | how to make sambar | hotel style sambar with sambar masala
For sambar powder
- ½ cup coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp methi dana
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- 15-18 dry kashmiri red chilli
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 tsp desiccated coconut
- ½ tbsp hing
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
For special masala paste
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut pieces
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal
- 1 medium size tomato
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- Water to grind paste
- 1 cup toor dal
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 green chilli
- 4-5 green beans
- 1 chopped carrot
- 5 small size onion/ sambar onion
- 1 cup chopped drumstick
- 1 medium size tomato
- Salt to taste
- Special masala paste
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp jaggery
- 2 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 dry red chilli
- Some curry leaves
- 4 small size onions sambar onion
For sambar masala
- In a pan, dry roast ½ cup coriander seeds,2 tbsp cumin seeds,½ tsp methi dana,1 tbsp black peppercorn,2 tbsp chana dal,1 tbsp urad dal,½ tbsp mustard seeds,15-18 dry kashmiri red chilli,8-10 curry leaves,2 tsp desiccated coconut. Add all spices into a grinding jar and add ½ tbsp hing and ½ tbsp turmeric powder.
- Grind into powder and store it in an airtight container.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup soaked toor dal and 3 cup water. Pressure cook dal on a medium flame for 3-4 whistles.
- Now in a grinding jar, add coconut, roasted chana dal, tomatoes, sambar powder and water. Grind into a smooth paste. Special masala paste is ready.
- When dal is properly cooked, then open the lid and mash the dal with a spoon.
- Add 3 cup water, all vegetables and salt in it. Mix well.
- Boil dal on medium flame till all vegetables are properly cooked.
- Add special masala paste, tamarind pulp and jaggery. Mix well.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard seed, urad dal, cumin seeds, dry red chill, curry leaves and small size onion.
- Sauté for a minute.
- Add terming into boiling sambar and mix well.
- Garnish sambar with coriander leaves and serve with idli and dosa.
- Pressure cook dal on medium flame.
- Dry kashmiri red chilli gives good color to sambar masala.
- Roast masala on low flame.
- Coconut gives taste and roasted chana dal gives thickness to the masala paste.
- Boil sambar on medium-low flame