Spicy matar pulao is a flavored and tasty pulao recipe prepared with fresh green peas, common spices, and rice. it is a one-pot meal and hence an ideal light dinner recipe and readily appreciated by kids and all age groups. I also share a cucumber raita recipe to serve with pulao. The best part is that this no-fuss recipe is made with ingredients you are sure to have at home. Do try this!
- For pulao, use long grain rice for more rich flavors. However, you can prepare it with basmati, sona masuri rice, or any long-grain rice.
- I made pulao with green peas and onion slices and tomatoes. However, you may also add other vegetables, particularly potatoes, carrots, and beans for additional taste and flavor.
- pulao tastes great when kept very simple and prepared with more spices. You can adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- finally, matar pulao or peas pulao tastes great when served hot.
Spicy matar pulao recipe | masala matar pulao | green peas pulao |cucumber raita recipe
For boiling rice
- 1 cup rice
- 5 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
For matar pulao
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 black peppers
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 big onion slices
- 1 tsp chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilli slits
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp biryani masala or garam masala
- 2 medium size grated tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- Cooked rice
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp ghee
For cucumber raita
- 1 medium size cucumber or 1 cup grated cucumber
- 1.5 cup thick curd
- 1 chopped green chilli
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp black salt
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 mint leaves
- Some coriander leaves
- For tadka
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp hing
Making spicy matar pulao
- Wash and Soak 1 cup of rice into hot water for 15 minutes. Drain water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add water and bring it to a boil. Add soaked rice, salt, lemon juice, oil, and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Cook rice on high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Sieve water from cooked rice and allow it to dry.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, green cardamoms, cloves, star anise, black pepper, and cumin seeds. Sauté for a minute.
- Add onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Then add green chili slits, ginger paste, and chopped garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Lower the flame, kashmiri red chili powder, black pepper powder, and biryani/pulao masala. mix well.
- Then add grated tomatoes and salt. mix well and cook till oil is separate from gravy.
- Now add green peas and sugar. mix well with the masala.
- Then add hot water and mix well.
- Cover and cook green peas for 5-7 minutes on low flame or till green peas become soft.
- Now add cooked rice, mint leaves, and some coriander leaves. mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee. Cover and cook pulao on low flame for 5-7 minutes, so masala flavor absorbs into rice.
- Serve spicy matar pulao with raita and papad.
Making cucumber raita.
- Grate cucumber with a bigger hole grated. Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add curd and whisk it with a hand whisker.
- Now add green chili, cumin powder, black pepper, chaat masala, sugar, black salt, and salt. mix well.
- Squeeze water from the cucumber and add it to the raita. Also, add mint and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Now in a tadka pan, add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and hing. Mix well and add tadka into raita.
- Serve cucumber raita with spicy matar pulao.
- soaked rice helps to fasten its cooking process.
- cook rice on high flame.
- cook rice at about 90%, do not overcook it.
- add little sugar while cooking green peas, which helps to retain their green color.
- mint gives a nice flavor to pea pulao.
- grate cucumber with bigger hole grater.
- squeeze water from the cucumber and then add it to raita.