Suji ka halwa is a traditional Indian sweet dessert prepared with basic ingredients like semolina, ghee and sugar. It is topped with dry fruits like chopped cashews and almonds which gives a crunchy effect to it. It is generally prepared as an offering or Prasad for satyanaraya pooja.
Suji ka halwa is an extremely simple recipe. I share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips help you to make the perfect halwa or sheera on the first attempt.
Suji ka halwa recipe | sooji halwa for Mahaprasad | sheera recipe
- ½ cup sooji rava or semolina (fine verity)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup ghee
- 1 +1/2 cup water
- ¼ tsp cardamom seeds powder
- 2 tbsp saffron water
- 2 tbsp Chopped cashews almonds and pistachio
- Boil 1.5 cup water in a small pan.
- Then, in another pan add ghee and chopped dry fruits. Roast it slightly and keep it aside.
- Now, add sooji and roast it on medium flame.
- Keep stirring and roasting till it gets a slight brown color. After 5-7 minutes you will get the nice toasty aroma of sooji and ghee separated from it.
- Now add warm water slowly. Cook with stirring continuously till water is absorbed. This will be done very quickly.
- Now add sugar and mix well.
- Cook till again it gets thick.
- Then add cardamom powder, saffron milk and roasted dry fruits in it. Mix well.
- Ghee will start to ooze out and sheera starts to leave the sides of the pan. Then turn off the stove heat.
- Take a fine variety of semolina ( rava).
- The proportion of sooji, ghee and sugar should be equal.
- Take water proportion 3 times more than sooji.
- sooji will puff up and become soft when warm water is added to it.