Aloo sev is a flavored savory snack made from mashed potatoes, gram flour (besan), and regular spices It requires very less ingredients and can be prepared at home very easily. I also share quick aloo sev namkeen or chivda with prepared sev. The addition of secret masala and a few no-fail tips helps you to make perfect crisp and market style sev on the first attempt. It has a very long shelf life and can be stored in airtight containers for months. Do try this!
- Firstly, cool down the boiled potatoes completely and grate the potato really well. if there are lumps then it may be difficult to pass into sev mould.
- For market style aloo sev flavor, I added pani puri masala in sev dough. You can add regular spices like chaat masala, amchur powder, and red chili powder instead of it.
- in aloo sev dough, boiled potatoes should be more than the proportion of flour mix. In grams, 400 gram boiled potatoes required 200 grm besan and rice flour mixture.
- Fry aloo sev on medium to low flame. also, you must be careful and remove it from the oil when it reaches yellowish color. do not wait till going dark yellow color as it continues to cook even after being removed from the oil and may turn dark.
- Lastly, I made chatpata aloo sev namkeen by adding peanuts, roasted chana dal, and spices into sev. It tastes great for 2 weeks when stored in an airtight container.
Aloo sev recipe | aloo sev namkeen recipe | market style aloo sev | potato sev recipe
For aloo sev
- 400 grm boiled potatoes
- 150 grm or 1.5 cup besan
- 50 grm or 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp pani puri masala
- 2 pinch or ¼ tsp limbu na phool
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp hot oil
- 1-2 tbsp water or as required
- Black salt powder
- Oil for deep frying
For aloo sev namkeen
- Crushed aloo sev
- ½ cup peanuts
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal
- Some curry leaves
- 3-4 dry red chilli
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp sugar
Making aloo sev
- In a mixing bowl, grate boiled potatoes with a small hole grater.
- Then add black pepper powder, pani puri masala, limbu na phool, and salt—mix spices with boiled potatoes.
- Now add besan, rice flour, and hot oil. mix well and knead the dough.
- Then divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Now slightly wet your hand and rub the dough for 2-3 minutes till it slightly changes its color. (refer to video)
- Then grease the hand with little oil then smooth out the dough.
- Add sev dough into the sev maker machine with a medium size hole disk. Grease the inside of it with little oil.
- Now fill the container with prepared dough and close it tightly.
- Now heat the oil. Once the oil is hot enough hold the machine over the pan. Turn the handle and a thin sev will come out. As the sev falls into the oil, slowly move the machine into a circular motion.
- As you complete one circle, stop there and reverse the handle slightly to stop the sev from coming out.
- Fry sev from both sides and then remove from oil and place it on the paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle some black salt on it.
- You can also prepare sev with small hole grater. (refer to video)
- Let, aloo sev cool completely. Then store it into an airtight container and the sev is ready to serve.
Making aloo sev namkeen
- Place a sieve in hot oil, and add peanuts and roasted chana dal. Fry it on medium heat and take it out into a bowl.
- Now fry curry leaves and dry red chili pieces. Take out into a bowl.
- Then add chaat masala, red chilli powder, and sugar. Mix well.
- Now add crushed sev and mix well.
- Aloo sev namkeen is ready. Store it in an airtight container.
- Cool down boiled potatoes entirely so there is no moisture in them. Also, grate boiled potatoes with a small hole grater.
- Pani puri masala gives perfect market-style taste to aloo sev.
- Limbu na phool gives tanginess to aloo sev, you can use amchur powder instead.
- 400 grm grated potatoes = 200 gram flour mixture for perfect for aloo sev
- The addition of hot oil gives crispiness to aloo sev.
- The addition of rice flour gives crispiness to aloo sev.
- Knead the soft dough for aloo sev. Also, rub aloo sev dough till it slightly changes its color.
- Fry aloo sev on medium heat. Do not fry it on low flame.