It is a simple and interesting side dish or sabzi made with drumsticks. A tasty masala made with peanuts, gram flour, and sesame seeds which are cooked with drumstick till it has developed all the flavors. It has little sweet, sour, and medium spicy in terms of taste, just like any Gujarati food. It is a healthy and also tasty side dish recipe generally served with roti or paratha.
Recipe card for Bharela saragva sabzi
- 5 drumstick sticks pieces
- 2 cup water
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp or ¼ cup coarsely grinded peanuts
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp roasted besan gram flour
- ¼ tsp hing
- 3 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Boiled drumstick sticks
- 1 cup water
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Wash and dry drumstick properly. Then cut the upper part, remove tender skin and chop to finger length pieces.
- Make slits into the of all drumsticks.
- In a pan, add 2 cups of water, turmeric powder, and salt. Add all drum stick pieces and boil till it becomes soft.
- When drumstick becomes soft and properly cooked. Remove from water and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add crushed peanut, crushed sesame seeds, roasted besan, hing, coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, jaggery, lemon juice garam masala, garlic paste, and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add oil, cumin seeds, hing, ginger, and green chili paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook tomatoes till they become soft and mushy.
- Add masala into the pan and cook till oil separates from its sides.
- Add boiled drumstick and mix well.
- Add water and mix well. Cover and cook sabzi on low flame till oil separates from its sides.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve bharela saragva with roti or paratha.
- choose fresh green and medium thickness drumsticks for sabzi.
- make a cut into the center of the drumstick, so the masala is absorbed in it.
- boil drumstick on medium flame.
- roast gram flour till it slightly changes its color and becomes aromatic.
- cover and cook the sabzi for 5-7 minutes, so the flavor of masala is absorbed into drumsticks.