Gujarati Bhindi ni Kadhi is made with buttermilk or yogurt with gram flour and okra (bhindi). It is a slightly thicker version of the famous gujarati kadhi and is usually served steamed rice and hot roti. You may need just a few papad and salad to serve with this delicious bhinda kadhi. It is quick, easy to make, and the sweet and sour taste is loved by all kinds of age groups.
Similar recipe collection
Recipe card for bhindi kadhi
- 100 grams or 15-20 bhidi okra or lady finger
- 2.5 cup sour buttermilk
- 2 tbsp besan gram flour
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp jaggery gud
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 dry red chilli
- Pinch of hing
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp green chilli paste
- Clean the bhindi, trim the head and tail. Slice it into medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bhindi, and salt. Lower the flame, keep stirring at regular intervals and cook till bhindi become soft.
- Remove it to a plate and keep it aside.
- Take 2.5 cups sour buttermilk in a mixing bowl. Add besan, salt, turmeric powder, and jaggery. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, cloves, dry red chili, and hing. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add curry leaves, green chilli paste, and ginger paste. Mix well.
- Add kadhi mixture in a pan, stir continuously till mixture comes to boil.
- Cover and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes on low flame.
- Then add the cooked bhindi and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally, add coriander leaves and serve bhinda ni kadhi with steamed rice and papad.
- Properly dry bhindi before cut into pieces.
- Cut bhindi into medium size pieces.
- Use sour buttermilk for kadhi.
- Tip: Cover and cook kadhi on low flame.