Chakli is a deep fried snack made with steamed wheat flour mixed, green chilli paste, sesame seeds, spices, and buttermilk or curd. It is spiral-shaped, crispy, and melts in mouth tea time snacks recipe. It is a traditional Indian snack recipe made during festival time. Different region of India has made different varieties of chakli. Today I share wheat flour chakli which is popular in Gujarat and Maharashtra.
I share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect chakli on the first attempt. It also has a very long shelf life and can be stored in an airtight container for months.
- Steamed wheat flour is necessary for making a crispy yet melt-in-mouth chakli texture.
- I knead chakli dough with Buttermilk, making it light and softer after frying it. You can use yogurt and some water for kneading chakli dough.
- Fry chakli on a medium flame for crispy and golden brown texture. Do not fry it on high flame.
- Cool fried chakli for at least 20 minutes before eating.
- You can store chakli in an airtight container for 15-20 days.
Chakli recipe | Wheat flour chakri | aate ki chakli | ghau na lot ni chakri
- 2 cup whole wheat flour chapatti atta
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- Pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp green chilli-ginger paste
- 3 tbsp oil +Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup butter milk or - ½ cup yogurt + some water
- Take 2 cups whole wheat flour (chapatti atta) into a bowl and cover the dish with a muslin cloth and close it
- Transfer to Kadai or steamer and steam it for about 20-25 minutes over medium heat.
- Flour turns hard during steam cooking.
- Break the flour lumps and sieve the flour for an even texture.
- In a mixing bowl, take wheat flour, turmeric powder, red chili powder, hing, salt, slightly crushed white sesame, cumin seeds, and green chili-ginger paste. Mix well.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil and add it to flour. mix well
- Add 1 cup buttermilk and gradually kneads the semi-soft dough. If required add more water or buttermilk to bind the dough.
- Now divide the dough into 2 equal parts and gave an oval shape to it.
- Take a chakli machine with an attached star-shaped hole in a round disc.
- Grease the chakli machine with little oil.
- Add chakli dough to the machine and close the lid.
- On a board or grease steal plate move chakli machine in a circular motion, first, make straight strings of dough by twisting the handle and then form round shape chakli with your hand.
- Join ends otherwise chakli will open while frying it.
- Heat oil on medium flame. Put a small portion of dough into it, if it immediately comes to the surface without changing into brown then the oil is ready for frying.
- Add 3-4 chakli at a time in hot foil and deep fry them until crispy and golden brown in color.
- Fry from both sides evenly and remove the kitchen paper towel to absorb extra oil from it.
- Let chakli cook to room temperature and ready to serve
- sieve steam wheat flour for its even texture.
- slightly crush white sesame and cumin seeds so they will easily bind with flour.
- make medium stiff and smooth dough for chakli.
- fry chakli on medium-low flame.