dudhi muthiya is traditional Gujarati snacks made from dudhi and spices. muthiya is very easy to make and the required basic ingredient list includes dudhi, onion, atta, semolina, besan, and regular spices. When all these ingredients combined in a correct proportion, it results in a soft and tasty Gujarati dudhi muthiya. It has a great shelf life so you can make it and store it in the fridge and use it as a side dish or breakfast also.
There are many different types of muthiya like cabbage muthiya, methi muthiya, palak methi muthia and mooli muthiya. But this one is traditional one.
Similar recipe collection
Recipe card for dudhi muthiya
- For dudhi muthiya recipe:
- 300 grams Lauki bottle gourd or dudhi Grated
- 2 nos Medium size onion
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Besan
- 1 cup rava
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 1/8 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Green chilies chopped finely
- 1/4 cup Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Oil
- For Tempering
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Few curry leaves
Making dudhi muthiya
- Take out skin of lauki and cut into small pieces. With help of knife cut out white middle part of lauki.
- Take these pieces into grinder and make a paste. With help of both hands squeeze out as much possible water from lauki paste.
- In the same way make onion paste in grinder and squeez out water.
- Then in a bowl mix wheat flour, besan, rava, turmeric powder, hing, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, salt, sugar and baking soda. g
- Then add ginger paste, green chili paste, coriander leaves, lemon juice, oil, lauki, and onion paste. Mix well and knead it into soft dough. Use water if needed.
- Prepare steamer. Add about 3 cup of water and let it come to boil
- Then grease steamer tray with oil.
- Apply some oil on your palms, take small portion of dough and shape into cylindrical roll. Arrange on greased tray.
- Steam it for 20-25 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes, remove it to cutting board. then cut into half inch slices.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium for tempering. Once hot add mustard seeds, sesame seeds and few curry leaves. Let them splutter.
- Then add sliced muthia. Mix gently so they do not break and sauté till you get little brown and slightly crispy.
- Turn off the heat.
- Squeeze out as much possible water from bottle gourd.
- Rava (semolina) absorb water for the muthia dough and helps to give shape to muthia.
- If dough is hard and not bind properly then add little water to make perfect soft dough.