Daal bhaat is a popular Gujarati dish made with toor dal and rice. In this recipe, I flavored dal with green garlic flavor, which is easily available in winter. Also, I share a perfect rice-water ratio to make fluffy and non-sticky rice. This recipe is very easy to make and love by all kinds of age groups. So with a few basic ingredient try out a new flavored Gujarati daal-bhaat recipe
Similar recipe collection
Recipe card for lasooni dal & rice
- ½ cup toor daal
- 1.5 cup + ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chilli
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 30 grm or ¼ cup chopped green garlic
- ¼ + ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Some coriander leaves
- 1 cup soaked rice
- 1.5 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ cup green peas optional
For green garlic daal
- Wash the toor dal and rice with water till water is no more cloudy.
- Take daal into a pressure cooker along with 1 ½ cups of water, turmeric powder, salt, and oil.
- Cover with the lid and cook daal for 4-5 whistles on medium flame or till dal becomes soft.
- Meanwhile, chop tomatoes and green garlic into small pieces.
- Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
- Using a hand blender, mash the dal and make it smooth.
- Add required water and again turn the heat on low and let it simmer.
- heat the oil in a tadka pan. One hot, add dried red chili and cumin seeds, and ginger paste, and cook for few seconds.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and fresh garlic. Add turmeric powder, salt, and chili powder, mix.
- Cook till tomatoes become a little soft and oil starts to leave the sides.
- Add this tadka to the dal. Stir it and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add jaggery and garam masala. Mix well.
- Switch off the gas; add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Serve green garlic-flavored daal with steamed rice.
For steam rice
- Soak rice with 2 cups of water for 20-25 minutes.
- In a pan, add green peas, soaked rice, 1.5 cup water, salt, and oil. Mix well.
- When water comes to a boil, cover the lid and cook rice on the lowest flame for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid. Rice is properly cooked.
- Enjoy steam rice with daal.
- rinse dal and rice thoroughly with water till white starch water completely clear.
- addition of salt helps to increase cooking process of dal
- pressure cook dal on medium flame.
- cover and cook dal for 2-3 minutes, so tadka flavor adds into dal.
- add lemon juice after switch off the flame.
- Soaked rice and water ratio should be 1:1.5 while boiling rice.
- Cover and steam rice for 10 minutes so it become soft.