Karela dungdi nu shak is a simple and interesting side dish or sabji made with bitter gourd and onion slices. . This vegetable fry recipe is very quick and requires basic spices which we use in our everyday cooking. I share some tips to decrease the bitterness of karela and make special masala to balance the remaining bitterness of karela. Serve it with roti and Gujarati kadhi for a wholesome lunch or dinner. Do try this!
- Choose fresh, tender, and medium-thickness karela for sabzi and cut it into long slices.
- Coat kerla strips with salt and rest them for some time to remove bitter juice from karela.
- In masala, you can use any farsan (chivda) or roasted gram flour (besan) in place of gathiya.
- Crush masala into a coarse powder, so it will give a slightly crunchy taste while eating sabzi.
Karela dungdi nu shak | karele pyaz ki sabzi | karela curry
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp gathiya
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Some coriander leaves
- 300 grm or 6-7 medium size karela
- 300 grm or 4 big size onion
- 2 tbsp gram flour besan
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- coriander leaves
- Wash karela and dry it completely. cut the head and tail (top and bottom part) and peel its skin. Cut the karela vertically into half and then make thin slices out of it. Chop all of the same ways.
- Sprinkle some salt on chopped karela and mix well. Rest karela for 20-25 minutes, so it will release its bitter water.
- Squeeze water from karela and keep it aside.
- Also, cut the onion into two parts and cut it into slices.
- Now coat karela strips with besan.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry karela strips on medium flame till they become slightly crisp from the upper side. Keep it aside.
- Now in the same oil, add onion and fry till it is slightly golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Then in a mortal pestle, add peanuts, sesame seeds, and gathiya and crush it into a coarse powder.
- Take out into mixing bowl, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, jaggery, garam masala, lemon juice, and coriander leaves. Mix well. Masala is ready.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, ginger paste, and green chili paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Add karela and onion slices. Add salt and mix well.
- Then add prepared masala on tindora and mix well.
- cover and cook sabji for 5 minutes on low flame, so masala flavor absorb in it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Marinate the karela with salt to reduce its bitterness.
- Fry karela on medium flame till it cooked properly and slightly crispy coating on it.
- do not add lemon juice and coriander leaves when you store the stuffing refrigerator.
- cover and cook karela and onion on low flame, so masala flavor absorbs in it.