It is a crispy and quick snack recipe made with moong dal lentils (dal), papad, and regular spices. This roll papad is stuffed with a spicy moongdal mixture and then fried until it becomes crisp and golden brown. It is an instant starter or appetizer which is always hit at parties. I also share 2 min instant khatti- meethi chutney which tastes great with nasta. Do try this
- Firstly, I made nasta batter with green moong dal, you can also use other lentils like yellow moong dal and chana dal instead of it.
- nashta batter has to be a thick and spreading consistency hence adding water in small batches while grounding the soaked moongdal beans. Also, Whisk the batter for 3-4 minutes in one direction, so air particles incorporate in it and it became fluffy, which helps to make soft nashta.
- Steam nashta on a high-medium flame so the moong dal batter is properly cooked. do not steam it on a low flame.
- Lastly, nashta tastes excellent when it is fried and becomes slightly crisp.
Moong dal nasta recipe | moong dal papad roll | how to make moong papad roll
For moong dal nasta
- 1 cup soaked moong dal
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp ajwain
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2-3 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Some coriander leaves
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 4 medium size urad papad
- Oil for frying
For khatti-meethi amchur chutney
- 1 tbsp dry mango amchur powder
- ½ tsp black salt
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ cup jaggery
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp arrowroot tapkir powder + water mixture
- 1 tsp watermelon seeds optional
Making moong dal nasta
- Soak green moong dal for 4 hrs. remove soaked dal water and add it into the mixture jar.
- Then add salt, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds and without adding water grind the mixture into a thick and coarse paste.
- Take out grinded mixture into mixing bowl.
- Then add fennel seeds, ajwain, hing, red chilli flakes, amchur powder, chaat masala, kasuri methi, black pepper powder, garam masala, chopped green chilli, ginger paste, coriander leaves, corn flour and rice flour. Mix well.
- Now whisk the mixture for 2-3 minutes so air-particles incorporate in it and it becomes light and fluffy.
- Then take a papad and slightly wet it. Spread moong dal mixture into a medium thick layer.
- Roll gently and make all papad roll in same way.
- Place and roll into grease plate with a hole.
- Then in a deep bottom vessel (big patili) add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- When water comes to a boil, place a grease plate with a papad roll on it
- Cover and steam nasta on high flame.
- It should take 12 minutes to properly steam. Check with a knife, if it comes out clean then it is properly cooked.
- Allow it to cool for a while and cut it into a medium thick round roll. (refer to video)
- Now heat oil in a pan, add roll and fry it on medium flame till it becomes crispy from both sides.
- Serve hot moong papad roll with chutney.
Making khatti-meethi amchur chutney
- In a pan, add amchur powder, black salt, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, jaggery and water. mix well.
- Place pan on gas and cook till jaggery is completely dissolved.
- Now in a bowl, add arrowroot (tapkir) powder and water. mix well and add mixture gradually into the chutney.
- Immediately chutney starts thickness. Switch off the gas.
- Take chutney into a bowl and add watermelon seeds to it.
- Khatti-meethi chutney is ready.
- do not add more water while grinding batter.
- grind batter into a thick and slightly coarse paste.
- whisk batter for 5 minutes in one direction, so air particles incorporate in it and it became light and fluffy.
- consistency of batter should be thick and binding.
- Wet papad slightly so it will easily roll.
- Steam papad roll on high flame -medium flame. Do not steam it on low flame
- Fry papad roll on medium flame till it crispy and golden brown from both the sides.
- Moong papad roll taste great when it is serve hot and crisp.