Pudla is a quick and easy pancake recipe. In this recipe, I made a savory and sweet version of pudla with wheat flour. Tikha or savory version of pudla made with wheat flour and some regular spices while meetha or sweet version of pudla made with wheat flour and jaggery as a sweetener which is flavored with cardamom. Both are quick and easy to prepare in under 30 minutes with all available ingredients in your kitchen. do try this!
The key to making tikha and meetha pudla at home are:
- The batter plays a critical role in it. The batter has to be neither thick nor thin and has to be medium thick and coating consistency
- I would heavily recommend soaking and rest the batter for a minimum of 30 minutes. basically, it helps wheat flour to completely absorb water and you would not feel bloated after eating pudla or chilla.
- Lower the flame and decrease the tawa temperature while spreading the chilla (pudla) batter.
- Make medium thick pudla or chilla and cook it on medium flame till they turn slightly golden brown.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for tikha & meetha wheat flour pudla
For tikha pudla
- 1 cup wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp carom seeds ajwain
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 1 chopped green chilli
- Some coriander leaves
- 1 +1/4 cup water or as required
- Oil to cook pudla
For meetha or sweet pudla
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup +1/4 cup water
- ¾ cup jaggery
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds powder
- ½ tsp powder sugar
- Ghee to cook pudla
Making tikha pudla
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, salt, cumin seeds, ajwain, hing, turmeric powder, red chili flakes, garam masala, ginger paste, chopped green chili, and some coriander leaves.
- add required or 1+1/4 cup water to make medium thick and pouring consistency of the batter.
- Cover and rest batter for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat the tawa, wipe tawa with a wet cloth to decrease its temperature. Spread pudla batter into circular motion.
- Add oil on the sides of the pudla and cook pudla evenly from both sides.
- Fold the cooked pudla and serve with tomato ketchup and chutney.
Making meetha or sweet pudla
- in a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, cardamom powder, fennel seeds powder, and powder sugar. Mix well.
- Now, In a pan, add water and jaggery and cook till jaggery is completely melted.
- Switch off the gas and cool down jaggery water completely.
- Add jaggery water gradually and mix well. Now add the required water and make pudla batter. Pudla batter should not be thin, instead of thick spreading consistency.
- Cover and rest batter for 30 minutes so wheat flour is properly soaked.
- Heat pan, make small size pudla with pudla batter. Take some ghee and pour it on the sides of the pudla.
- Cook pudla on medium heat and once the top is cooked, flip over and cook on the other side until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve sweet pudla with pickle and salad.
- pudla batter has a medium-thick and pouring consistency.
- clean tawa with a wet cloth to decrease its temperature.
- cook pudla on medium flame.
- powder sugar gives nice brown color to pudla.
- cool down jaggery water completely.
- when you spread pudla, pan temperature should be decreased.
- Make pudla on medium flame. Do not change the flame while roasting it.