Tikho khato lot is a traditional Gujarat dish made with coarse wheat flour and regular spices. In this recipe, I serve a cooked lot in different styles with special tempering on it to make it more flavorful. It is a healthy and tasty Gujarati snack that can also be served for morning breakfast or evening snacks. It is very simple and easy to make with all the available ingredients in your kitchen. do try this!
- Firstly, I have used coarse wheat flour which brings a proper consistency and texture to it. you can use regular wheat flour with some rava instead of coarse wheat flour.
- slightly sour buttermilk gives a nice taste to khato lot. also adding masala into buttermilk helps to avoid spoiling while cooking it.
- The dish has to be served immediately once it is removed from the stove. Also, specially added tempering on it makes it more flavourful.
- Lastly, tikho khato lot tastes great when prepared slightly tangy and spicy.
recipe card of tikho khato lot (traditional Gujarati snacks)
For tikho khato lot
- 1 cup coarse wheat flour
- 2 tbsp + 3 tbsp oil
- 2-3 chopped green chilli
- 4-5 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 cup soar buttermilk
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- Some curry leaves
- 2 chopped green chilli
- In a mixing bowl, add coarse wheat flour and 2 tbsp oil. Mix well till flour should have a crumbly texture and easily bind into the hand.
- Now in a bowl, add buttermilk, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. mix well.
- Now in a pan, add oil, hing, chopped green chili and chopped garlic cloves. Sauté for a minute.
- Add buttermilk and spices mixture into pan and stir continuously on medium flame till it starts to boil.
- Now add prepared flour and stir well with a rolling pin
- Stir continuously until the flour absorbs all the buttermilk and no lumps in it.
- Now place a tawa on gas and then put a bowl on it. cover and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes till flour cooked well and becomes crumbly in texture.
- Then switch off the gas and add cooked flour to grease plate.
- Now with the bowl make it into an even texture. (Refer to video)
- Then in a tadka pan, add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, and chopped green chili. Sauté it.
- Add tempering on tikho khato lot and spread it.
- Cut into pieces and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot as an evening snacks or morning breakfast.
- flour should have a crumbly texture and hold shape between hands.
- slightly sour buttermilk gives a nice taste to khato lot.
- add flour gradually and mix it with a rolling pin, so no lumps form in it.
- cover and cook flour for 10 minutes on low-medium flame.
- press cooked flour with a bowl for its even texture of it.
- tikho khato lot tastes great when it is prepared slightly spicy and served hot.