khaman dhokla is all time favorite Gujarati snack. Typically, vati dal na dhokla recipe is prepared from fermented batter, but this recipe I share the instant dhokla recipe which is prepared from coarse gram flour, sour buttermilk, and regular spices. It is a combination of sweet and sour taste, which is generally served as a snack but can also be served as a morning breakfast recipe or as a sudden guest at home.
It is an easy and foolproof recipe and I also share some tips for soft and spongy instant vatidal khaman dhokla on the first attempt. Do try this!
- Firstly, I made vatidal na instant khaman with slightly coarse gram flour. t basically helps to get the crumbly texture of dhokla as compared to the fine besan flour.
- Khaman Dhokla batter should be medium thick and pouring consistency. Also, whisk the dhokla batter well so air particles incorporate in it and dhokla become soft and spongy.
- I have added Eno fruit salt which can be easily replaced with baking soda if you wish to. But I would heavily recommend skipping turmeric as it would react with baking soda to yield a pink color.
- steam dhokla on a medium-high flame for 15 minutes or till it gets cooked completely. Do not steam dhokla on low flame.
- Lastly, instant khaman dhokla tastes great when serve with green dhokla chutney.
Vatidal na instant khaman dhokla | instant surti khaman dhokla |instant khaman dhokla
- 1 cup coarse gram flour besan
- ¼ cup poha powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tbsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cup buttermilk or as required
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- For tempering
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 chopped green chilli
- Some curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Some coriander leaves
- In a mixing bowl, add coarse gram flour, grinded poha powder, salt, turmeric powder, hing, green chili pastes and ginger paste. Mix well.
- Then add buttermilk gradually and make medium thick and ribbon-like pouring consistency of the batter.
- Now add 1 tbsp oil and mix well and whisk the batter for 1-2 minutes.
- Cover and rest the batter for 30 minutes.
- Then in a batter, add 1 tsp eno fruit salt and some lemon juice. Mix well.
- Now add batter to grease plate and steam khaman on high flame for 15 minutes. (refer to video)
- Once done take out the plate from the steamer & allow it to cool for 5-10 min.
- Demold it and Cut it into desired shape.
- Now heat oil in tadka pan, add mustard seeds, chopped green chili, hing, and curry leaves. Mix well and add tadka on khaman dhokla. Mix well.
- Serve vatidal na Instant khaman with chutney.
- Use coarse besan for Instant vatidal khaman batter.
- Poha gives softness to khaman
- Use sour buttermilk for khaman batter. Also, it should be at room temperature.
- You can use sour curd and slightly hot water to make khaman batter.
- Oil gives softness to khaman.
- Rest batter for 30 minutes, so the flour soaks properly.
- Eno gives batter results for instant khaman dhokla.
- Steam dhokla on high flame.
- Khaman dhokla tastes great when it is served with green dhokla chutney.