Handvo is an all-time favorite Gujarati farsan. Typically handvo recipe is prepared from fermented batter by soaking dal and rice. But this recipe is I prepared handva flour, which can be prepared and stored into an air-tight container. Handva flour is a better option than the traditional method of soaking the pulses and rice and grinding them and allowing the batter. also, I prepared handva into regular kadai and lots of vegetables to make it healthy and tasty. So with a little planning, breakfast or dinner can be made it quickly and served with your favorite chutney. Do try this!
The key to making crispy vegetable handvo at home are:
- In handva flour, use small grain rice varieties like khichdiya or jeerasar rice. Also, the quantity of rice and dal should be equal.
- Store handvo flour into an air-tight container for 6 months or more into the refrigerator.
- Handva batter should be medium thick, also whisk the batter well so air particles incorporate in it and handvo become soft.
- The fermentation handva batter is the key step for the soft and crispy handvo. Typically 6 hours or overnight fermentation is more than sufficient in humid weather. But if you live in a cold region, you can keep it under direct sunlight during the day and in a preheated oven during the night.
- I use different types of vegetables to make handvo healthy and nutritious. You can add vegetables according to your choice and availability.
- Cook handva for 12-15 min on low-medium flame or till it becomes crispy from both sides.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
- Dhokla / muthiya / handva recipe collection
- Chaat recipe collection
- Kathiyawadi sabzi recipe collection
Recipe card for mix vegetable handvo
For handva flour
- 1 cup small grain rice
- ½ cup chana dal
- ¼ cup toor dal
- ¼ cup urad dal
For vegetable handva
- 2 cup handva flour
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp methi dana
- 2 cup sour buttermilk or 1 cup sour curd
- 4-5 green chilli
- 1 inch giner
- 4 tbsp green garlic
- ½ cup grated dudhi lauki/bottle gourd
- 2 tbsp chopped capsicum
- 2 tbsp grated carrot
- 2 tbsp boiled green peas
- 2 tbsp boiled sweet corn
- 2 tbsp chopped methi leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped palak leaves
- Some coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda for half batter
- 1 tbsp oil
For handva tempering
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- 1 dry red chilli
Making handvo flour
- In a mixture jar, add dal and rice. Grind it into a coarse powder.
- Handva flour is ready. Store it in an airtight container for up to 6 months or more into the refrigerator.
Making vegetable handvo
- In a mixing bowl, add handva flour, salt, and methi dana. Add buttermilk gradually and make a thick batter.
- Cover and rest batter for 6 hrs or overnight at a warm place.
- The batter becomes fluffy and properly fermented.
- Now in a mixture jar, add green chili, ginger, and green garlic. Grind it into a coarse paste.
- Then in a batter, add grated lauki, capsicum, grated carrot, boiled green peas, boiled corn, chopped methi leaves, chopped palak leaves, coriander leaves, crushed peanuts, grinded paste, salt, sugar, hing, chaat masala, and black pepper powder. Mix well.
- Handva batter is ready. divide it into two parts.
- In one part, Add baking soda and hot oil. Mix well.
- In a kadai, add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, dry red chili, and a pinch of hing. Sauté it.
- Pour handva batter in the centre of kadai. Cover and cook handvo for 12-15 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Flip another side and again cook handvo for 5-7 minutes till it becomes crispy from both sides.
- The same way makes hadvo into the pan.
- Cut into the desired shape. Serve with crispy handvo with green chutney.
- grind rice and dal mixture into a coarse powder.
- store handva premix or flour into an air-tight container.
- use sour buttermilk or curd while making handva batter.
- make slightly thick and pouring consistency of the batter.
- cook handva for 12-15 min on low-medium flame.